Dokters van de Wereld België
Doctors of the World is an international medical development NGO which is part of an international network. We provide medical assistance to vulnerable groups in Belgium and the rest of the world.
We aim for universal health coverage where every person has access to care, without barriers (financial, cultural, geographic, etc.).
In Belgium and around the world, our projects are intended for all people who have no or restricted access to health care. In particular, they are structured along five axes: people on the margins of society (homeless or paperless people, drug users, sex workers, etc.); children in vulnerable situations; women (accompanied in their fight for equality and against sexual violence for example); migrants or displaced persons and victims of crises or conflicts.
To carry out our mission, we base our work on three pillars:
- Caring : organizing real access to care for people.
- To accompany change: more than to help, we want to change things in the long run.
- Testify: we do not remain silent. Thanks to our experience and our presence on the ground, we challenge the people in power (local, regional and (inter) national) with facts, figures and realities.
Our projects rely on a series of values common to our entire organization: social justice, empowerment, independence, commitment and balance.
As employee, you are in relationship with the Chairman of the Board and under the direct supervision of the Director General. You lead the Health Department of Doctors of the World Belgium. You reinforce and develop the quality of health practices in order to implement the organization’s operational strategy by carrying out quality projects through the efficient use of available resources in compliance with the vision, the missions and the values of the Organization. The Health Director is part of the Executive Committee.
As a member of the Executive Committee: you take part in the strategic choices about the activities of the organization.
Examples of tasks :
- You participate in the weekly meetings of the Executive Committee.
- You steer, with the Board, the definition of strategic proposals for health practices.
- You participate in the definition of the advocacy strategy.
- You organize the Project Committees when new health strategies are needed.
- You participate in the meetings of the General Assembly and the Board and report on a regular basis on the Health Department activities and those of its teams.
- You represent Doctors of the World Belgium in external bodies requiring health expertise.
As Health Director: you build an internal and external health expertise (sexual and reproductive health, migration, gender-related violence, risk reduction, crises…), define the quality standards of health practices and assess compliance in operations.
Examples of tasks:
Project Monitoring-Evaluation-Accountability-Learning cycles :
- You define quality standards in health practices.
- You develop and validate the technical aspects (medical, pharmaceutical, protocols…) of the logical frameworks of the projects (objectives, indicators, activities and chronograms).
- You define relevant indicators and ensure the most appropriate data collection modalities.
- You develop the technical parts of the terms of references for the internal and external evaluation of the missions.
- You regularly assess compliance with standards and the chronogram of health activities.
- You recommend adaptations and changes to improve results and compliance.
- You contribute to the construction of strategic relations with grant donors and partners.
Research and development:
- You identify research priorities and include them in the MDM strategic plan.
- You ensure an active watch for innovation of practices (follow-up of the specialized (international) literature, watch of technological innovation,…).
- You propose, develop and validate study protocols (I.e. analyses of data banks, surveys, drafting of articles…).
- You participate in university chairs, and in particular animate the Chair health-precarity ULB-MDM-BE.
- You are actively collaborating in research programs (i.e. universities…).
- Program supervision:
- You act, as required, as a direct supervisor to the Program Coordinators, support them and orient them in the development of their activities.
- You visit projects and operations both in Belgium and abroad to support program implementation and impulse improvement of practices.
- You provide concrete elements and data for advocacy in favor of access to quality care and combating gender and social inequalities.
- You participate in advocacy actions as needed.
As Manager of the teams of the Health Department at Headquarters and in the missions: you coordinate the work of the various collaborators in order to guarantee an optimal framework of work, according to the tools and priorities of the organization.
Examples of tasks :
- You plan, organize and animate team meetings, making sure the decisions are communicated and official reports written.
- You set the objectives to be achieved by the collaborators, develop their individual action plans, assign the activities and coordinate them.
- You accompany, support, stimulate each collaborator in his progression through regular feedback, and increase their understanding of their strengths and weaknesses.
- You identify and solve the operational and technical problems encountered by the different team members.
- You ensure the optimization of the level of health skills of the members of each Department, by coaching or through training.
- Master’s degree in Public Health and a Bachelor or Master’s degree in a health profession (medical doctor, dentist, pharmacist, midwife, nurse, psychologist,…).
- Mastery of the project cycle and at least 8 years of experience in health care, with at least 4 years in a leadership position (team and/or project leader). Responsibilities in the medical quality of projects and institutions is an asset.
- International experience (Maghreb, Sahel, Grand Lac) and at the national level (Belgium).
- IT: mastery of the Office package and experience in the management of computerized health related databases.
- Languages: spoken and written proficiency in the two main national languages of Belgium (French and Dutch), proficiency in oral and written English.
- Strong managerial skills and inspirational leadership.
- Analytical and editorial capabilities.
- Ability to develop a vision.
- Capacity to build networks.
- Effective and efficient communication with others.
- Demonstrated reliability. Good organization of priorities. Taking initiative. Autonomy. Clear expression of points of view.
WHAT WE OFFER
- An enthralling job in a dynamic and family-like environment, within a team of professionals.
- A full-time contract of indefinite duration.
- Restaurant tickets – reimbursement at 100% of public transport charges – hospitalisation insurance
- A gross salary of € 4136 for 0 years of experience ; a gross salary of € 4550 for 10 years of experience ; a gross salary of € 4.963,92 for 20 years of experience. Relevant experience recognized.
Please send your application (CV and motivation letter) using the form below before 29/02/2020: https://doktersvandewereld.be/doe-mee/health-director
MdM thanks you for the interest in our organization and wishes you every success in your career.